Translate

Friday, August 15, 2014

Kiondo


I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a while but I’ve been hard at work on a special project. While out at the market a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to learn how to make a kiondo. A kiondo is a traditional hand woven basket very common in Kenya. They are used by women to carry just about everything and are carried with a strap that can be put over a shoulder when carrying light things or across the front of the chest when carrying a heavy load. They come in a variety of colors and patterns.

Throughout our time here, I had seen a great many of them and wondered just how they were made.  During our visit at the market in Karatina to purchase a couple kiondos, the sales woman was kind enough to go through the steps to making them. I listened attentively and hoped I would be able to remember how to make one. She was also so kind as to give me the yarn used for weaving and I was able to purchase the strands used for the framework.

  

 

My first attempt at making one did not work out well as the bottom of my basket was a bubble and not flat. My second attempt turned out very well. Once I got the bottom of the basket weaved I had a problem, how do I make the basket turn so as to come up along the sides. Again, a very kind Kenyan woman came to my rescue. I spent an afternoon with our driver Ephrim’s mother and she shared with me some valuable tips to continue with my basket, including getting the basket to turn, a better technique and how to finish the basket.

 
 
 


So for the last two weeks, I have been hard at work weaving away in the evenings after our time on the farms. I’m very happy to say that I have completed my first kiondo before leaving the region that thought me how to make them.

 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. hi Nancy.i am writing from Nairobi Kenya.i have been interested in learning how to make kiondo but i have not been succeful in finding someone who can teach me.i work as a clerk in matatu/bus company and i am bearly able to support my self.i am 30 years of age having completed high school back in 2007. i attend a computer college here in Nairobi.My question is can you kindly give me the contact of Ephrim the driver who took you to karatina market where you learnt kiondo making from a sales woman there.aslo can you kindly give me the name of the shop and contact of the sales woman who taught you kiondo making so that i can organize and get in contact with her and see if i can visit her in karatina market so that she can also teach me how to make kiondos.i am willing to invest funds to learn this hand craft and i do not mind traveling to karatina to get the learning.please contct me on:kamirimuhinja@yahoo.com or muhinjadread@gmail.com.before i forget my name is Brian Muhinja Kamiri.i attended a catholic day high school in Nairobi kenya.please kindly assist me.i dont want to give up on this interest and love i have for basket/kiondo making.thanks.God bless.Brian.

    ReplyDelete